Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Going back in time

 It all started in 1872 when an English doctor, John Braxton Hicks, described the contractions that occur before real labor. Can you imagine constantly thinking,"This must be it," and then it wasn't. Doctors and pregnant women have Dr. Hicks to thank for clearing up all the confusion. 


Yes Dr. Hicks I want to thank you.  I want to thank you for lending your name to something that has come to greatly annoy the "H" out of me.  I say Braxton Hicks and I want to cringe just thinking about it.  Yes the contractions you lent your name to are false and they are just prepping your body for the real thing, but when you have as the article state had "multiple pregnancies" or are "in tune with changes in your body" you recognize these false contractions more.  Not to mention this time around they not only take my breath away, but tighten up my back as well I am not comfortable at all.  I have issues with PTL so to have more than 4 in an hour worries my nurse, but after drinking water and going to sleep NOTHING HAPPENS. So I ignore it.  Plus after DD#2 DH refuses to take me to the hospital unless I am absolutely positive either the baby is coming or in danger.  I honestly don't like going either just to spend $6 on parking and $10 of gas just to get sent home.  


So yes, thank you Dr. Hicks for giving a name to the most asinine pregnancy symptom yet.  Good thing being my 3rd I know what real contractions feel like and I know what it's like when my water breaks so I'm fully prepared to make just one trip and to come home only with a baby not empty handed.


Any other smart guys out there want to diagnose a woman's issue, Keep it to yourself!




Glossary:


PTL - Pre Term Labor


DD - Dear Daughter


DH - Dear Husband